Understanding The Benefits Available From Workers’ Compensation
After suffering a work-related injury, numerous questions can arise. Workers’ compensation in California can be highly complicated. Lack of knowledge can make getting the benefits you need very difficult. Understanding what benefits are available can be particularly complex, but that information is critical when making decisions. The most important thing is to talk to an experienced lawyer who can help you understand your rights.
At Kiwan & Chambers, APC, you will find a trusted advocate. Our attorneys have more than 40 years of combined experience representing injured workers. We serve clients in San Diego and the surrounding areas in all types of workers’ compensation matters. Please call us now at 619-369-3504 to schedule your free consultation.
Types Of Benefits You May Qualify For
The benefits available to you will depend on several factors, including the severity and longevity of the injury you have suffered. Benefits can include:
- Medical care: Workers’ compensation law requires the payment of all reasonably necessary medical treatments for work-related injuries.
- Temporary disability: If your injuries are deemed temporary, temporary disability benefits cover the wages lost due to the inability to work while you are recovering.
- Permanent disability: If you have a work-related injury or illness that will prevent you from working permanently, you could receive permanent disability benefits. There are complicated computations used to determine the severity of the disabilities you are suffering. The severity level of your disability will determine what percentage of your former income you will be eligible to receive.
- Supplemental job displacement: This is another essential benefit. It provides support in the form of a voucher to cover vocational training costs, tools, and licensing or certification expenses. This support will allow you to find other suitable work that you can perform to continue earning income.
- Death: If someone you love has died in a work-related accident, that person’s spouse, children and other dependents can receive benefits to cover burial expenses and additional costs.
This list contains only brief descriptions of the various workers’ compensation benefits available in California. But each of these benefits brings numerous legal complications and challenges. It is critical to work with a legal team that can protect your rights and interests through the process.